|Shovels and Keys|
|Season 1, Episode 1|
|Air date|| Jan 7, 2017 (BBC One) |
Jan 10, 2017 (FX)
|Written by||Steven Knight|
|Directed by||Kristoffer Nyholm|
Shovels and Keys (simply known as "Episode 1" on BBC One) is the first of eight episodes f the first season of Taboo. The season premiere originally aired on January 7th, 2017 on BBC One, and January 10th, 2017 on FX.
It is 1814 and James Delaney reappears in London, a changed and haunted man, presumed dead in Africa many years before. His return finds his father, Horace Delaney, dead and a country at war with France and the United States. Set to inherit what is left of his father's shipping empire, James's arrival not only threatens to disrupt the plans of his half-sister Zilpha and her husband Thorne, but also the political ambitions of the mighty East India Company, chaired by Sir Stuart Strange. 
- "The issue today is Old Man Delaney. May he rot in Hell!"
- ― Sir Strange on Horace Delaney
- "I remember you. I've heard the stories. If I give you a girl I'll never see her again!"
- ― Helga to James Delaney
- "Whatever happens with this business of inheritance, and no matter if it results in dispute, I hope I can trust you to keep the secrets of the past buried. Buried in a deeper grave."
- ― Zilpha Geary
- Some of the filming for this new series took place at The Charterhouse, Charterhouse Square, London. 
- The scene at the water mill was shot at Mapledurham on the Thames, near Reading.
- As mentioned by Delaney, his mothers name was Salish, which is also the name of an indigenous tribe still living on Vancouver Island. The Coast Salish peoples.
- The presence of the Prince Regent sets this precisely between 1811-1820. However the so-called 'mirror test' for arsenic was invented by James Marsh, refining Metzger's test, in 1832.
- St. Bartholomew's Hospital has no glass roof mortuary in 1814.